Me, Myself & I - Photography Exhibition Submissions
Calling all young photographers to send us your Selfies!
Celebrating our Claude Cahun, Beneath This Mask exhibition we’re asking young people aged 14-25 to send us your smartphone snaps for an exhibition in the Young People’s Gallery at the Dick Institute this summer!
Following the theme of self-expression and transformation, we’d love to see how you like to present yourself to the world through fashion, costume, makeup, props and your backgrounds.
Any kind of self-portraits are welcome for what we want to be a diverse and inclusive exhibition! Whether it be experimentation with identity, gender or style through your look, we want to show your selfie-expressive snaps as works of art in the gallery.
More about the Claude Cahun, Beneath This Mask exhibition
Pioneering the selfie more than 100 years ago, Cahun’s playful and experimental self-portraits show her posing in various dramatic settings and guises, exploring identity and gender-fluidity through dressing up, props and surroundings. Cahun constantly reinvented herself, influencing artists working from postmodern, feminist and queer perspectives like David Bowie and artist Cindy Sherman. Years ahead of her time the curious poses even bring to mind some of today’s surreal and witty social media Selfie trends.
*For this exhibition we have adopted the Hayward Touring use of she/her pronouns, however there is evidence to suggest that given today’s vocabulary, the artist would identify as transgender and as they/them.
‘ME, MYSELF & I’ GUIDELINES
1. Open to young people age 14-25 years in Ayrshire & South West Scotland.
2. Parental / carer consent is required for all under 16 years of age.
3. Self-portraits should be created on digital devices such as smartphones / tablets.
4. Self-portraits should be made in response to the themes ‘self-expression and transformation’, and those also explored in the Claude Cahun exhibition as above.
5. Submissions will be reviewed and the resulting exhibition curated by East Ayrshire Leisure staff.
How to enter:
1. Entries should be submitted at as high an image quality as possible.
2. Submission date - 5pm on Thurs 1 July.
3. Selfie entries and submission forms should be sent via We Transfer to Geraldine.email@example.com Please make sure submission forms are completed and emailed with Selfie submissions